Life Skills Training and Educational Programs, Inc., LifeSTEPS, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit charitable organization, is currently recruiting for a Patient Navigator. This position will work in Redding, CA. It is the LifeSTEPS Mission to provide effective educational and supportive services to maximize the strengths of individuals and build resilient communities.
Job Title: Patient Navigator
Report to: Regional Director of Support Service Programs
FLSA classification: Non-Exempt
Hours: 20 hours per week
Pay Rate: $16-18.00 per hour
The Patient Navigator will assist clients referred from health-related partners in collaboration with the program lead external case manager. Clients are high utilizers of Emergency Departments and Hospital Readmission often presenting with special needs such as chronically homeless, Veterans, and/or individuals with physical and/or behavioral health challenges. The Patient Navigator, under the supervision of the Lead External Case Manager, will work collaboratively with health care professionals to provide awareness about information resources, support programs and services, and assisting in meeting other needs of clients and caregivers. The Patient Navigator will guide clients through the care continuum to identify barriers and assist with access to needed resources to decrease barriers.
Essential Job Functions include the following. Other duties as appropriate may be assigned.
• Work collaboratively with Lead External Case Manager, Regional Director of Support Service Programs, and the LifeSTEPS team.
• Build and maintain relationships with key staff in hospital host site to build patient referral mechanisms and promote patient navigation services.
• Under the direction of the Lead External Case Manager, assist with assessments of client personal circumstances that contribute to high utilization of hospital services and identify information, resources and emotional support needs of newly enrolled clients.
• Establish and leverage relationships and alliances with community service providers and other healthcare providers to enhance service delivery and referral networks.
• Implement a follow-up plan for each client to ensure that services provided have met their needs.
• Identify gaps in resources provided and work within the local community to bridge identified gaps in available services.
• Maintain within the LifeSTEPS' database systems accurate, confidential records documenting services provided.
• Collect client and caregiver success stories for overall program evaluation and development.
• Remain current with resource and referral information found in the community and ensures new resources are populated into the program reporting systems.
• Maintain regular and ongoing client contact and meeting at frequency determined by current client acuity level.
• Using LifeSTEPS curriculum, provide basic education to clients about chronic disease management and lead them to create self-management goals.
• Educate clients on the appropriate use of 911 emergency calls for assistance.
• Under the direction of the Lead External Case Manager, work closely with client, health care staff and other partners to help clients resolve issues that may threaten stability.
• Maintain appropriate client case files and database to include documentation of all client contacts and contacts to service providers made on behalf of the client, clearly document all interventions provided to client and prepare reports as directed.
• Research, review and access local community resources and assist clients in referral follow up.
• As directed by the Lead External Case Manager, attend all appropriate local community and partner meetings as necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: The minimum qualifications and training for this position are:
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• Two (2) years of experience in a similar health care environment providing similar services for special needs populations such as homeless and/or individuals in crisis.
• Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology or related field preferred.
• Individual with direct life experience of homelessness preferred.
Skills and Abilities
• Health related field: Duties involve both direct (in person) and indirect (via phone or online) patient care activities requiring simple to complex skill sets including motivational interviewing and stages of change assessment. The Patient Navigator may provide informal health coaching, advocacy and act as a liaison. Must have ability to learn healthcare systems, and some medical terminology and mental health conditions.
• Communication Skills:
o Language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language. Bilingual preferred.
o Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates: Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
o Communicating with Persons outside the Organization: Communicating with third parties with professionalism, represent and promote the LifeSTEPS values to program participants and partnerships, the public, governmental and other external agencies. This information can be exchanged in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
o Conflict resolution skills.
• Management Skills
o Time Management: Developing specific goals and plan to prioritize organize and accomplish your work.
o Team building: Encouraging and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
• Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions and proportions.
• Reasoning Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and assist with procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, program participants, and the general public.
Other Skills and Abilities
• Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software, Word Processing software and Database entry; proficient in navigating the World Wide Web.
• Partners and Participants Relationship: Responds promptly to participant, LifeSTEPS team members and partnership requests for service and assistance.
• Dependability: Job requires being reliable, responsible and dependable and fulfilling obligation.
• Attention to Detail: Detail oriented and thorough in completing work tasks.
• Complex Problem Solving Skills: Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Valid California Driving License and reliable, insured transportation.
Physical Job Description
• Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; walk on uneven terrain; bend; sit; use hands to handle objects, tools, or controls; lift; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time and move about the facilities within the communities served by LifeSTEPS- both indoors and outdoors. Vision and hearing must be sufficient to perform job functions safely including visual acuity to perform activities such as data entry, preparing reports, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading, and visual inspection of one's own work product at varying distances. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Work Environment: While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee regularly works in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee occasionally works in outdoor weather conditions, at resident properties, and special events.
To apply, please email resume and cover letter in PDF format.
Please reference open position: # 2019-007
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers